Thursday, November 19, 2009

Midori Sushi - Not Another Onami or "To-Die" aka Todai (Encino)

Entrance

What I realized from listening to blog readers and writers was that most people don't actually read all the writing in a post. Me, being a lazy ass that I am (Cathy of Gastronomyblog can attest), will try this review as a quote on quote, photo review. Yes, for me, pictures equal 1000 words.

YellowtailHamachi Collaryellowtail? Forgot405 RollVarious Hand RollsOno, White Fish, Yellowtail

The menu at Midori is pretty extensive for an all you can eat sushi buffet. Supposedly, you have only 1 hour to eat as much sushi as you can for $20.95 for lunch and $25.95 for dinner and all day during the weekends. However, I've never seen them enforce the time and we've always left as full as you can possibly imagine. Now, the quality won't ever be Urasawa level, nor will it even be even as good as Hide Sushi (My first sushi experience in LA, in fact, my first ever meal in Los Angeles), but for what it is, it's pretty good.

I'm starting to write too much, but at Midori, you have a choice of various appetizers (get the yellowtail collar (hamachi kama)), nigiri sushi (raw fish on top of rice), hand rolls (I'd recommend spicy shrimp or spicy scallop), and a wide variety of rolls (Western style). Bring your appetite and expect a better sushi buffet than Onami and Todai. There are 3 locations in the greater San Fernado Valley. Cheers!

For more pictures, check out the slideshow below:


Midori Sushi
17047 Ventura Blvd
Encino, CA 91316
(818) 995-0888
http://www.midorisushi.net/

Midori Sushi in Los Angeles

8 comments:

Diana said...

Don't fear the prose! I write 1000+ words for my blog posts and am darn proud of it!

Sushi looks good, but I'd be happy to read more of your thoughts!

Ravenous Couple said...

do they charge if you don't it all?? last time I went to one of these, had sushi stuffed in my pockets because they charged.

Gastronomer said...

I read every single word, KFP.

I am not too good for AYCE sushi. I've been wanting to try Midori, good to know it ain't shabby! As always, holla at me when you go next time.

Kung Food Panda said...

D takes a B: Thanks! Appreciate the comment

Ravenous Couple: I went back tonight, and as long as you finish everything, they don't charge you. Sometimes it could be painful if you over-ordered.

Cathy: Duh! I'll let you know when I go back again. Too much food yo!

Lori Lynn said...

I'm all about the visual too.

Cannot imagine having a meal that is timed! That yellowtail collar is calling me...

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
LL

Bonnibella said...

I can't believe you get yellow tail collar at a AYCE place. They charge a arm and leg here.

Aaron said...

Umm, looks like a decent AYCE sushi place. I have yet to find any places that would serve you much more than the basics. Maybe we can come here next time I'm in town

Kung Food Panda said...

Lori: The yellowtail collar was definitely one of the best things on the menu.

Bonnie: Yup, probably the main reason I visit Midori, though after the recent issue, I might not go back anytime soon.

Aaron: Haha, we'll see if we have time for Midori. We should hit up Animal first!