Sunday, February 21, 2010

Rodney's Oyster House - Varieties Forgotten, But Pictures Aplenty! (Toronto, ONT)

Rodney's Oyster House

Rodney's Oyster House

After our failed attempt on our first day to visit Rodney's Oyster house due to the Victoria's Holiday weekend, we decided to return after our meal at Acqua as a late night snack since it opens until 1AM.

I'll apologize ahead of time as I lost my little "cheat sheet" for the variety of oysters served at Rodney's, as this will mostly be a picture post.

Various sauces

Various Sauces for the Oysters

Here are the various sauces that could be used for the oysters, though we mainly just used the lemon provided. At first, I was planning to just snack one an oyster or two, but we ended up running an oyster "gamut" a la kevinEats style. (Though if I was running a kevinEats style, I would not have lost my notes taken that night! LOL)

Oysters

Here was the first plate of oyster we ordered, including the favorite of the night, the Kumamoto oysters. The Kumamoto, as always, tended to have more flavor I enjoy usually from an oyster.

Ginger Ale

Boylan Ginger Ale

While I was not in the mood for alcohol, I decided to get a bottle of Boylan's Ginger Ale to go along with the oysters.

Oysters

This was our second plate of oyster, and we soon realized the best oysters were the smallest ones, like the Kumamoto oyster. Although tasty, we definitely enjoyed the smaller oysters a bit more.

Shrimp Cocktail

Shrimp Cocktail

My friend decided to get an order of Shrimp Cocktail, and at 21CAD, it was not really worth the price as he was a bit "meh" on the shrimp cocktail.

OystersUp close shot

Finally, we went with the giant oyster from Hog Island. Sadly, despite the size, the oyster wasn't quite flavorful as I had hoped. I guess in regards to Oysters, bigger isn't always better.

Stackin' it up!

Ah yes, the picture above was the damage caused by me, but was I done? Nope!

Clams

After the oysters, we decided to try both their clam options, and much like the oysters, the smaller clams had richer, and thus, better flavors. Quite nice!

CN Tower at night

Night Shot of the CN Towers

All in all, Rodney's Oyster House was a good place to enjoy seafood, especially oysters. The service was friendly, as our server was quite helpful guiding us through the oyster menu and checking back with us with a "these are good, eh?" Although it's not quite a "must-visit" restaurant, I'd certain pay a visit if you're staying around the Financial District area in Toronto. Love the late night, love the oysters, why don't you come and try it out yourself, eh?

Final Rating: 7 out of 10

Rodney's Oyster House
469 King Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 1K4, Canada
(416) 363-8105
Official Website

10 comments:

gourmetpigs said...

That's right KFP! Kevin would never have lost his notes, and he would have prices too :P

That's usually one thing I always think about re:oysters at restaurants. I'm sure high end places all have fresh and good oysters, it's the prices that vary ..

Lady Ducayne said...

Oysters eh?

Awesome with the Boylan Sugar Cane cola! I'll have to introduce you to some different varieties though. Black Cherry Cola perhaps? Anything but Ginger Ale!

;)

Bonnibella said...

Kumamotos are one of the best, you got to try it at Swan Oyster Depot up in SF. AND it's pretty good fried too.

dave -nibbleanibble said...

Holy Bleep! 21 dollars for 6 shrimps? If I know anything about math thats 3.50 a piece!

A 3.50 shrimp better be dam good.

kevinEats said...

A quasi-kevinEats style meal, then. ;)

mattatouille said...

Man that's a lot of oysters. Reminds of when I was camped out in front of that oyster shucker at Hog Island during Foodbuzz conference, and happily downed 3 dozen incredibly fresh oysters. I could do that again.

Pandalicious said...

omg, i love oysters!! looks so good, i drooled. sheesh.

Exile Kiss said...

Hi Kung Food Panda,

Nice review; thanks for info on this place. :) I agree about Hog Island Oysters.

Kung Food Panda said...

GP: Ya, my bad, it's probably in one of my boxes I have around, but it wasn't good notes anyways....

The prices wasn't bad, as it's a pretty casual joint.

LD: What's wrong with ginger ale? :P I've tried the creme soda as well when I was in NYC.

Bonni: Is it better than Hog Island Oyster Inc? I can dig fried, I LOVE fried oysters!

Dave: It's CAD, but close though. It wasn't worth it....

Kevin: I can't roll like you man!

Matt: Haha! I remember that! I think I only did a dozen that night at the Foodbuzz event!

Amy: I love the oyster at Hermosa Beach too, and it's cheaper!

Exile Kiss: Hog Island Oysters are good, but the one we got were too big?

Banana Wonder said...

gingerale, oysters and some lovely looking condiments. sign me up!