Monday, August 9, 2010

Burt's Place - It's Like Eating Pizza At Home (Morton Grove, IL)

Burt's Place

Burt's Place

When one speaks of food in the Windy City of Chicago, the first thing that comes to mind tends to be its famous deep dish pizza. When one talks about the deep dish, Giordano, Ginos East, Uno, or Lou Malnati tends to be the popular picks. However, after watching the clip from Anthony Bourdain's trip to Chicago, I knew I had to try the deep dish pizza from Burt's Place. More so in fact, after hearing Burt state: "I'm 71 for christ sake and still working like a dumbass." He seemed to be a character!



After reading more about Burt's Place, I learned you MUST call in ahead (a day ahead would be best) and place an order (ie: size of pizza & toppings), otherwise they'll likely turn you away at the door, which I saw at least two times during my meal. With that knowledge in hand, I called and ordered a Large with spinach, sausage, mushroom, and onions. Since it's my first meal after landing at O'Hare, I eagerly awaited this meal!

Burt's PlaceBurt's Place

Large Mushroom, Onion, Sauage, Spinach Deep Dish @ Burt's

As the video stated, and from what I've read, Burt would get fresh ingredients daily, thus, they do require the pre-orders the day before so they could figure out the amount of supplies they need on a specific day.

The crust on Burt's deep dish was different, but I do like it. It's caramelized, but not burnt. The ingredients were fresh and flavorful. My favorite ingredients were the sausages and the spinach. It's a shame we weren't able to finish a whole pie, as a large was definitely enough to feed 4 healthy eaters!

Burt's PlaceBurt's PlaceBurt's Place

Dining Room at Burt's Place

Another part of Burt's Place I loved was Burt's wife Sharon, who served us the pizza tableside and chatted with us throughout the meal. She discussed the history of Burt's Place, her children that were out of state, and even gave us an Italian Beef recommendation. All in all, she was a lovely lady and made us feel at home during the meal.

Burt's Place

Post Meal Candy

The space in itself was quite homey and definitely has their own personal touch. The pizza itself was delicious, but it was truly Burt and Sharon that gave this place the extra pizazz. Burt's Place is definitely a place I'll revisit on my next trip back to Chicago/Morton Grove, and hopefully I'll bring some new friends there as well. If you're heading to Chicago or already living in the Windy City, give ol' Burt's Place a try. Just make sure you call ahead with your order and reservation!

Burt's Place

Signing the guest-book post-meal

Final Rating: 8.5 out of 10

8541 Ferris Avenue
Morton Grove, IL 60053-2828
(847) 965-7997
Yelp Link w/Pictures of the menu

10 comments:

Banana Wonder said...

I've been craving deep dish like crazy. No fair!

Diana said...

I've never even heard of this place! Guess I know where to get my pizza fix the next time I'm in Chi-town. Going to pass this along to my Chicago friend now... :)

glutster said...

Man. I knew this place was legit when I saw it on No Reservations!

must hit up if I ever go back to Chicago. thanks for the heads up on the "call ahead" policy.

Gastronomer said...

Pillow mints are the perfect ending to a great meal ;-)

nelehelen said...

I love thin crust pizza, but I think I would cheap on my thin crust for that hefty piece of deliciousness!

stuffycheaks said...

I dont particularly like pizzas but damn, this looks good! Esp that crust. Whoever invented the deep dish is genius

Kung Food Panda said...

Anna: By the end of the trip, I was sick of deep dish.

D: And it's close to your alma mater too! :)

Javier: Besides the good pizza and awesome experience, it was probably the cheapest slice (whole slice) of pie around!

Cathy: Amen sister. Amen!

Helen: I agree, I'm more of a thin slice person myself, but occasionally, I do like the deep dish.

Stephanie: How do you NOT Like pizza?? Wait, the cheese.....

gourmetpigs said...

If only I'd known about that Bourdain episode! :( Well it might've still been too far for me to go too ... next time. Looks less deep/thick than Giordano's?

Kung Food Panda said...

GP: You'll need a rental car as it's close to the campus at Northwestern. Yup, it's definitely thinner than the other deep dish pizza joints!

greg urbano said...

great photos, love your blog name!