Saturday, June 13, 2009

Quality Seafood - I like Uni, do you? (Redondo Beach)

Quality Seafood

After perusing through my pictures from my trips to Torihei, I realized I'm too lazy to get the review out today, but I did notice a few uni pictures I took at Redondo Pier and realized I could use some right now!

Various Seafood Tanks (Top: various clams, Bottom: Uni (Sea Urchin))

Uni Master at work

Pictures of my delicious uni

Now, originally, I was not a fan of uni. I may have been traumatized from the low quality uni served at Todai Buffet while I was in College. As time progressed, I've enjoyed eating uni at various sushi restaurants, but this was the first time I had uni (sea urchin roe) inside the sea urchin itself. Unaware of the price, I assumed it would be quite hefty, similar to the uni I've had previously. However, the sea urchin was sold at $6.99/lb and my alien looking creature was actually less than $7, what a bargain! Rich, fresh, and delicious are three words I would describe about this magnificent creature. While it was a bit uncomfortable seeing the tentacles of the sea urchin move during its roe comsumption, the quality of the uni quickly made that uneasy feeling quickly dissipate.

Quality Seafood not only carries a decent selection of cooked food (primarily seafood, but they have chow mein! *sarcasm*), but they do carry a massive amount of fresh seafood for you to enjoy at home, or in our case, eating it there. They carry a variety of fishes, crabs, lobsters, oysters (freshly chucked between $1.50 - $1.90, I believe. Bargain!), and of course, our good friend, the sea urchin. I highly recommend visiting Quality Seafood whenever you're around the Redondo Pier, you can't really beat the price and quality of this place!

For another blogger's POV, visit what my karaoke buddy Gourmet Pigs has to say about Quality Seafood.

Quality Seafood
130 S International Boardwalk
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
(310) 374-2382
www.qualityseafood.net

10 comments:

Aaron said...

I don't know how comfortable I'd be eating uni straight out of the body. It's certainly very alien; and that fact about it moving while you were still eating it might bother me

Food, she thought. said...

Interestingly, I read an article in Vogue about uni a few years back. It said that the uni harvested off of Catalina is some of the world's most prized uni. What great proximity we have. I didn't used to like it either, but had a delicious uni dish at Wakasan last fall and still crave it.

Kung Food Panda said...

Aaron: Sometimes you have to overlook that and eat the goodness within the sea urchin. Too bad we didn't stop by during the SB marathon last time. The fact the tentacles were still moving even after 15mins was quite interesting to say the least...

Liz: You really need to try it. Less than $7, fresh, and you can also get some freshly shucked oysters as well. Can't really beat Quality Seafood!

weezermonkey said...

Super cool! I must say, though, I'm not a huge uni fan. Maybe I just need to eat good uni....

joanh said...

mmm. uni.. though, does it really move around while it's still inside? I haven't been back to Redondo Beach Pier since I was a kid.. will have to revisit next month!

Gastronomer said...

I'd go for the oysters. Uni and me haven't hit it off all that well ;-) Amazing prices though! I like.

Kung Food Panda said...

Sharon: Check this place out, it's cheap and definitely fresh. If uni is not your thing, I'm sure freshly shucked oysters will hit the spot! =)

joanh: The uni is definitely still, but the tentacles were definitely moving throughout the meal. But it's so worth it!

Gastronomer: Ya, go for the oyster and stop by izakaya bincho!!

PK said...

HA..my uni was around $10... it was a giant alien..and it has strong life force too..wouldn't stop moving around..it keeps turning and spinning while I was eating it. UGH!

Kat said...

I am going to post the videos of PK and Kai's uni... mine was old and died fast.. yet it tasted the best out of there's lol

Mmm looking at the photos makes me want to go back again O=9

The worst part was when Gourmet Pigs just HAD to look up what Uni is... Gonads! That stopped our pal Kai from having another! lol

Kung Food Panda said...

PK: I guess you got a monster uni! =) But ya, that thing moving was a bit disconcerning....

Kat: I think PK already has videos on her blog, right? Don't tell me what an Uni is ugh, I'm not sure if I want one now...