Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sushi Yasuda - No Yasuda-San, But Still Great Sushi (New York City)

Sushi Yasuda
Sushi Yasuda

As I started to make my reservations before my NYC trip, I was told by my NYC guide to look into Sushi Yasuda. With the amount of good sushi we have here in Los Angeles, I was hesitant, but since I trusted my guide, I went ahead and booked with the strict instruction of asking for Yasuda-San to personally make my sushi. Booked and confirmed, I was ready for some sushi!

Sushi Yasuda
Yasuda on the left
Yasuda-San is on the Right


However, after I arrived, I was told Yasuda-San was tending to some VIPs and cannot attend to my dining companion and myself. "WTF," I thought, though I figured I'd make the best of the situation and roll with it.

Finger Wipes
Finger Wipes

Finger wipes on the table and we were ready to rock and roll! Although we were given a menu, I came here for the omakase (Chef's Choice), and I'm sticking with that. Since I've forgotten a few of the fishes, here's to you another edition of a picture blog!

Mitzu San
Mitzu-San


This is Mitzu-San, he's going to be our sushi master for this meal.

Scallops and Scallions
Scallops and Scallions

Chotoro with Soy
Chotoro with Soy

The chotoro was so rich and nice!

Shimaji (Yellowtail)
Shimaji

Sea Bass
Sea Bass

This one was nice. I don't remember ever having sea bass nigiri sushi before.

Japanese Mackerel
Japanese Mackerel

Amaebi (Sweet Shrimp)
Amaebi (Sweet Shrimp)

There's really nothing better than fresh amaebi nigiri sushi. The only thing that I wish I was given were fried amaebi heads. Those are truly fantastic!

Fatty Blue Fin Tuna Cheeks
Fatty Blue Fin Tuna Cheeks

This one I liked better than the chotoro. It's fattier and melted in my mouth.

Squid Legs
Squid Legs

I'm used to ika (squid), but never had squid legs. I loved the texture of this piece.

Himo (Orange Clam)
Himo (Orange Clam)

The himo reminded me a bit of geoduck, at least with the texture.

Oyster from Washington
Oyster (From Washington)

I've had raw oysters numerous of times, but never as a sushi. It paired well with the sushi rice. it's definitely worth ordering!

New Zealand King Salmon
Coho Salmon from Canada
Top: New Zealand King Salmon. Bottom: Coho Canadian Salmon

Rich. Fatty Salmon. Both versions were delicious, but I think I preferred the one from our buddies up North.

Duo of Eels
Duo of Eels
Anago (Salt Water Eel)
Anago (Salt Water Eel)
Sawani (Fresh White Sea Eel)
Sawani (Fresh Water Sea Eel)

Normally, I'm not too keen on eel sushi, but these two were quite nice. I especially liked the sawani nigiri since it lacked the sauce which usually make the eel too sweet for my tastes.

Uni from Maine
Uni from Maine
Uni from Santa Barbara
Uni from Santa Barbara

No recounts needed. No West Coast bias here. The one I preferred was definitely the one from Santa Barbara. It was creamier and just overall a better version of uni served.

Amaebi Brain with Shiso
Amaebi Brain with Shiso

This one was truly unique, borderline memorable even. The salty, brininess of the brain of the sweet shrimp was definitely noticeable. The addition of the shiso leaves were a great touch!

Scallion Sprouts
Scallion Sprouts

This sushi reminded me of a sushi I read in the mango Shota no Sushi. The piece was refreshing, slightly spicy, yet quite a nice a to change the palate. Especially after the shrimp brains.

Toro Scallion Roll
Toro Scallion Rolls

Simple, no frills, yet delicious.

Engawa (Fluke Fin)
Engawa (Fluke Fin)

Here, we have the fluke fin nigiri, or as what Mitzu-San said, the muscle of the fluke. It's definitely quite unique. It's rich, chewy, and most flavorful. Another piece that I highly recommend!

Knife Skills
Knife Skills

Kohada Mackerel
Kohada Mackerel

At this point, the omakase ended with the engawa, but I wasn't full. So I decided to order a few more pieces. Being a fan of mackerel, I was recommended the Kohada Mackerel. Very nice, I liked this one quite a bit.

Artic Char
Arctic Char


I asked for the fresh fish of the day and was served Arctic Char. Closely related to the salmon and trout family, it's hard to go wrong with that combination.

Ikura (Salmon Roe)
Ikura (Salmon Roe)

Next, I asked for my old reliable, ikura (salmon roe). It's like an old friend that's always there for you. The ikura was fresh, as the roe had a nice snap as it popped in my mouth. Fantastic!

Ika
Ika (Squid)

Finally, I asked for one last piece at Mitzu-San's recommendation, and I was served ika. Instead of my usual ika with shiso, it had some shoyu instead. I liked this version quite a bit, and was a great way to end the meal. Although I thought about ordering a tamago (egg) sushi, I was quite full and ready to call it a night.

Although I was quite disappointed I wasn't able to have Yasuda-San make the sushi (and I still am, now that he's leaving for Japan), I was quite impressed with Mitzu-San and Sushi Yasuda as a whole. The fish was fresh, and there were some definite unique options served. While the meal definitely will set you back between $100-150+ depending on the amount of sushi ordered, I think it's definitely worth the cost and the accolades it has received. Although I'm able to enjoy some fantastic sushi options here in LA, NYC friends, you have a good one with Sushi Yasuda, even if he's not at the helm anymore. Thank again, NYC Guide!

Sushi Yasuda
204 East 43rd Street
NY 10017
(212) 972-1001

6 comments:

Sam said...

still bummed too you didn't get yasuda-san. man's a genius

weezermonkey said...

Some of your best close-up photos ever!

nelehelen said...

the amaebi brain with shiso sounds/looks AMAZING! damn... i have to put this on my list haha

bagnatic said...

oooh sweet shrimp brain. can't say that made me salivate...though your pictures did. love them.

Gastronomer said...

Wouldn't be grand if we could eat high-end sushi omakase on the regular? That would be so nice! This meal looks wonderful.

Kung Food Panda said...

Sam: Ya, I'm bummed myself :(

WM: Thanks!!! :D

Helen: You should check it out. Even though Yasuda-San is gone, I'm sure Sushi Yasuda is still good.

Amy: Thanks Amy!

Cathy: Too bad we're not rolling in dough or have random wallets filled with $ like some ppl.....