Saturday, January 30, 2010

Kesté Pizza & Vino - First Positive NY Style Pizza (New York City)

Keste

Outside Kesté

After roaming (or sleepwalking) a bit more around SoHo, I was ready for dinner. Our proposed destination was April Bloomfield's Spotted Pig. Sadly, we underestimated the dinner crowd on a Thursday night in the Big Apple, as when we arrived at 7PM, we were told it'll be a 3 hour wait for our party of 5. Thankfully, I was with NYC locals, and we had some backup choices in mind. What's more New York than some pizza?? Count me in paesano!!

We decided on getting pizza at Kesté Pizza & Vino in Westside Village. At Kesté, they're known for a Neapolitan-style pizza made by the famous pizzaiolo Roberto Caporuscio. A relatively new pizzeria, Kesté opened March of 2009, which is a baby compared to the famous Lombardi's and Grimaldi's. Nevertheless, I was excited, especially after hearing glowing reviews from my friends Dan and Wendy of a.k.a.dandy.

Pizza Del Papa

Pizza Del Papa ($16) - butternut squash cream, imported smoked mozzarella, artichoke, red and yellow peppers

After looking over the menu at Kesté we decided on 4 different pizzas. The one shown above is the Pizza Del Papa. At first, I didn't think much of the pizza, as I much prefer meat based pizza, but the butternut squash cream really adds a nice creamy touch to this pizza. The mix of the peppers and the squash really works. I was pleasantly surprised and it was probably my second favorite pizza of the night. Who knew butternut squash would go so well on a pizza?

Capricciosa

Capricciosa ($16) - tomatoes, artichoke, mushroom, imported cooked ham, imported mozzarella, and extra virgin olive oil


This was the only pizza I wasn't able to taste, but the ones that ordered it seemed to enjoyed it as well. The mix of artichoke and ham looked to be a hit, and I regretted not to ask for a taste of the pizza.

Pizza Del Re

Pizza Del Re ($19) - fresh mozzarella, mushroom, prosciutto di parma, truffle spread, extra virgin olive oil

Pizza Del Re was by far my favorite pizza of the night. I'm not sure if it was the truffle spread or the prosciutto, or even just the combination of all the ingredients on the pizza pie. The cheese, the creamy sauce, and the saltiness of the prosciutto was just fantastic. Everything was cooked perfectly and if you're here just for one pizza, make sure you get the Del Re.

Salsiccia E Friarielli

Salsiccia E Friarielli ($18) - italian rapini, italian sausage, imported smoked mozzarella, extra virgin olive oil


Finally, the pizza pie I ordered. As mentioned previously, I'm keen towards a meat based pizza. Hey, there's nothing to be ashamed of being a carnivore. However, of all the pizza we ordered, the Salsiccia E Friarielli was quite average. Although this pizza was better than most sausage pizzas I've had in my life, nothing about it stood out. After taking a bite of the earlier mentioned Del Re, I wished I ordered a whole pie of that instead.

All in all, it was a much better New York pizza experience than my trip to NYC two years ago. Although I have no comparison from the other famous New York Pizzerias to compare, I firmly believe Kesté would hold their own against those other legendary pizzerias. Situated in the middle of West Village, there will definitely be a line when you go. Put your name down and go chill in the surrounding neighborhood. Kesté was definitely worth it!

For an in depth review of Kesté, read this post

Kesté Pizza & Vino
271 Bleecker Street
Manhattan, New York, NY 10014
(212) 243-1500
Official Website

Kesté Pizza & Vino in New York

14 comments:

Diana said...

I've never heard of Keste! Looks sort of similiar to my favorite LA pizzeria... maybe... better?!?! I'll have to check it out the next time I go back to NY. Or go back so I can try it. And those doughnuts. :)

Chicken said...

I kid you not. I saw the pretty pictures and said out loud, "Holy Fuck!"

Hungry now

--Hanhonymous

Pandalicious said...

yum, the del re looks good! love prosciutto,.

weezermonkey said...

Looks fabulous!

Banana Wonder said...

Damn those pies look mighty fine! I'm all about the buttternut squash cream one. Yum!

Dave -nibbleanibble said...

Love the different pizzas. All so colorful and no doubt flavorful too.

Kung Food Panda said...

Diana: I'm gonna make you hungry with my upcoming posts D! :) That Pizza Del Re and that Butternut Squash pizza were the hightlights!

Hanh: I hope you're able to get some pizza this weekend! :)

Amy: Hope you get to try it on your next trip to NYC.

Ms. Monkey: And it tasted fabulous!

Anna: I was surprised how good that pizza was actually. I usually don't do vegetarian if I don't have to.

Dave: You are 100% correct! Though the sausage pizza was a bit too "normal."

Marie said...

I'm sorry, truffle spread?! Done deal. Good God!

Gastronomer said...

I will forward your post to my bro. He needs the Del Re in his life!

Bonnibella said...

I've been to Lombardi's, it's a good place to go once for history since it claims to be the first pizzeria. The Keste pizza looks really good, especially the crust.

catty said...

wow these pizzas DO look good. The del re looks the best, and even without the truffle I reckon it would taste pretty good - Prosciutto is a perfect pizza topping :)

Dan said...

nice pics, i can still taste those slices right now. Next time you're here we have to try some other popular NY pizza joints to compare.

Presto said...

nice pictures of pizzas you have. i wanna try this one if i could go to New York on my next trip. ^_^

Kung Food Panda said...

Marie: I know, huh? :)

Cathy: Smart woman. He sure does!

Bonnie: I still need to give Lombardi's a try!

Cat: I'm not even sure if it's b/c of the truffle spread that made the Del Re work, but I agree, Prosciutto is great!

Dan: I need to try more pizza on my next trip. Thanks for taking me there!

Presto: There's so many good eats in NYC, I don't think you could go wrong with any of your choices.