Monday, March 8, 2010

Tim Hortons - Yes, I Tried The McDonald's Of Canada (Niagara Falls, Canada)

Tim Horton's

Tim Hortons at Niagara Falls

Prior to my trip to Canada, I was told of Tim Hortons by my buddy Sam and how I'd see it everywhere I went in Canada. True to his words, it was indeed in every corner on the streets of Toronto, though we really didn't make time to try it out. That held true until we made our stop at Niagara Falls.

Tim Horton's

Turkey Bacon Sandwich


After driving out from Toronto, and making at a stop at the world famous Ice Wine vineyard, Inniskillin, we finally reached Niagara Falls. Starving, we quickly found the visitor's center and saw a Tim Hortons. With a limited food selection around the area, we decided on getting lunch at Tim Hortons (even though we heard this guy yelling "Fresh Sushi, here!"). I ended up going with the BLT sandwich combo with a choice of doughnut. The BLT sandwich was edible, cured my hunger, but that's about it. Sorry for the blurry picture, as using a dSLR camera while shooting the sandwich placed on your lap wasn't a wise idea.

Tim Horton'sTim Horton's

Tim Hortons' Custard filled Doughnut

In reality, these doughnuts are fine, but they're definitely not anything I had at Doughnut Plant. But hey, it's sweet, and filled with custard, so I'm A OK with these!


Tim Horton's!Tim Horton's!

Top: Ice Cappuccino, Bottom: Frozen Cappuccino

How could I not get a Tim Horton's coffee drink to put the final touches to my Tim Horton's experience? So what do I think? Think Tim Horton's coffee like a poor man's version of McDonald's coffee drinks. It does its job, but it's nothing special other than it's a vehicle for caffine.

I'm glad I was able to try Tim Hortons, but unless there's no other restaurants around, like at Niagara Falls, I doubt I'd make a return visit on my next Canada trip. I can see why people go, as it's damn convenient, but the food, drinks, and dessert were all pretty average.

I'll end this post with a few shots of Niagara Falls...

More shots of the HorseshoeThe Mighty Niagara Fall (Horseshoe)On top of the HorseshoeAmerican FallsThe famous ride into Niagara

Final Rating: 5 out of 10

Tim Hortons
6650 Niagara Parkway
Niagara Falls ON, L2G 4C8
Tel: (905) 354-7790
Official Website

9 comments:

Diana said...

Hmm never heard of Tim Horton's! The donut does look pretty decent for road trip fare, but certainly nothing I'd make a point of eating. Thanks for the due dilligence, Kung Food Panda! Taking fast food eateries down for the team!

Gastronomer said...

With the exception of In n Out, fast food scares the pants off me. Even Canadian ones!

Pandalicious said...

i dont think anything beats donut plant.

Lady Ducayne said...

I can't go to Canada and NOT eat something from there. It would feel wrong! There's nothing like a last reminder of Canada before heading back to LAX, amiright?

Lady Ducayne said...

I see the rainbow, but not the unicorn?

joanh said...

there's a tony roma's at niagra falls. LOL :) i was happy to eat there because the one in Taipei and West LA closed down and i like their ribs.

didn't try tim horton's while i was in toronto... looks like i didn't miss much

Anonymous said...

I've been hearing so much buzz about Tim's from my friends north of the border. Thanks for describing it to me. Looks like I won't be going out of my way to try it if I ever venture north. Lovely pix of Niagara. I haven't been there in eons so it was very nice to see! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I've been hearing so much buzz about Tim's from my friends north of the border. Thanks for describing it to me. Looks like I won't be going out of my way to try it if I ever venture north. Lovely pix of Niagara. I haven't been there in eons so it was very nice to see! Thanks!

Kung Food Panda said...

Diana: TH was worth a quick stop, that's about it. Though it seem like the Canucks loves it!

Cathy: I too also share the love of In N Out!

Amy: Agreed!

LD: True, but there's just so much other stuff to eat. TH is good just for a quick snack.

LD: Ummmm...isn't unicorn only in fantasy? :)

Joan: There's plenty of Tony Roma's in LA, so I guess I didn't see it when I went to Niagara Falls.

Flavor Blvd: It was done in a Korean accent too, loved it. Thanks for the compliment! :)

SBRR: It's good for a quick stop, but nothing more. I loved Niagara Falls and can't wait to go back!