Friday, January 14, 2011

Katz's Delicatessen - Pastrami Heaven! (New York City)

Katz's DeliKatz's Deli

Katz's Deli

When you're in New York City, there's just certain place you HAVE to visit. Katz's Delicatessen would definitely fit that bill. Heck, if you don't believe me, I'm sure you'll trust him. What do you order here you ask? Well, I'm sure the sausages and the various other products are delicious, but you should only order one thing here: Pastrami on rye!

Katz's Deli

Complimentary Pickles

Katz's Deli

Dr. Brown's Black Cherry

Since I had the cherry soda in Montreal to go with my smoked meat sandwich, it's only appropriate to keep it the same deal here.

Now for the main event!

Katz's DeliKatz's DeliKatz's Deli

Pastrami!

There's really nothing better than a pile of tender pastrami, along with some hot yellow mustard between two pieces of bread. I can see why Katz's has earned the numerous acclaim over the years, it's really that good. While I personally prefer the smoked meat at Schwartz's just a tad bit more, Katz's pastrami sandwich definitely hit spot. While I planned a quick stop at Russ and Daughters post Katz's, I quickly squashed that idea. Do what the Nike slogan tells you: Just Do It!

Katz's Deli

BoA!

If you don't trust me, you can trust BoA!

One thing to note though, I've yet to try Langer's here in Los Angeles, so I'm curious how does Langer's stack up to Katz's!

Katz's Delicatessen
205 E Houston St
New York, 10002
(212) 254-2246
Website

Katz's Delicatessen in New York on Fooddigger

17 comments:

catty said...

Since i'm eating cheap in NYC I may as well add this to the list :)

Market Day Canelé said...

Katz is classic and undeniably deli greatness.

Darin said...

Can't believe you've never been to Langer's! I recommend a visit pronto!

sku said...

Great post and pix! I did the Katz's/Langer's challenge last year, and found Langer's comes out on top, both for pastrami and bread (which is pretty much a throw-away at Katz's). Pickles are far better at Katz's though.

Nomsnotbombs said...

Yaaaaay Katz's!

Diana said...

Yep, I DEFINITELY need to plan a trip to Langer's soon since a trip to NYC is not in my immediate future. Thanks for the craving, KFP!

weezermonkey said...

My ONLY question was going to be how does it compare to Langer's?!

Hahahahahahahaha.

bagnatic said...

never been to katz's, but langer's is deeeeeelectable.

TWO FOODIES – ONE JOURNEY said...

I haven't eaten at Katz yet but just looking on the photo one big difference between Langers and Katz seems to be the quality of bread. Langers is excellent for the pastrami sandwich but Katz looks pretty mediocre.

Pinoy Panda said...

I've had Langer's pastrami before and it is fantastic! So I can't wait until next month when I can finally try Katz's.

Kung Food Panda said...

Catty: You definitely should. I'm going again myself in Feb!

Gil: I agree with you 100%!

Darin: I know, I'm slacking. I need a good comparison between the two pastrami giants.

sku: That's good to know, so I wouldn't have to drag back pastrami from Katz's on my next trip.

Misty: :-)

Kung Food Panda said...

Diana: I think I need to join you on your trip to Langer's...

Weezermonkey: I wish I could answer that question for you as well :P

Amy: Good to know we have a good one here locally. It's too bad they close so damn early!

Two Foodies - One Journey: The bread I agree was pretty meh at Katz's so I'm looking forward to Langer's version.

Remil: So you can compare it for me then!

Gastronomer said...

Me + U + DTAB = Trip to Langer's ASAP. When you free, panda?

gourmetpigs said...

Based on my one experience at both places, I like Langer's better. More tender, fattier!

Unknown said...

katz's has the better pastrami. langer's has the better sandwich. both are ridiculously overpriced.

Kung Food Panda said...

Cathy: Let's do it! In March.....

Fiona: Good to know, maybe I don't need to drag a few pounds of pastrami back from NYC this time.

Dustin: Haha, it's definitely not cheap! LOL

Ajlounyinjurylaw said...

The pastrami looks delicious, but then, how can you go wrong?