Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Shake Shack - More Than Just Fast Food (New York City)

Shake ShackShake Shack

Shake Shack

When I was told by my friend Dan that I had to try Shake Shack when I'm in NYC, a simple fast food burger a la In-N-Out wasn't something I really had in mind. Mind you, I love In-N-Out. I worked there in High School, I know the entire operation (though I HATED working the dining room cleaning crew, along with wearing that giant diaper pin), In-N-Out to me is legit! Though when I found out Shake Shack is the brain child of Danny Meyer, the owner of Eleven Madison Park and Union Square Cafe, I was ready to try it out. It doesn't hurt that Shake Shack offered the frozen concrete treat, which are pretty popular in the Midwest.

Shack Stack

Shack Stack - Cheeseburger and 'shroom burger topped with lettuce, tomato, and Shack Sauce

Fries

French Fries

HopscotchHopscotch

Hopscotch Concrete - Hot caramel sauce, chocolate toffee and Valrhona chocolate chunks

Shake

Chocolate Malt Shake

I adhere to the motto: Go Big or Go Home. Since I was in NYC, I pretty much had the "fuck it" mindset and ordered everything. So what you saw above was for an army of one, me.

The Shake Stack was fantastic. One of the best burger I've had in awhile. In fact, it probably rivaled the burger I had at Peter Luger, but definitely behind the Black Label Burger at Minetta Tavern. The crispy fried portobello mushroom was just amazing, it definitely enhanced the flavors of the burger.

The French Fries looked pretty ordinary, but was a lot better than I expected. Fried to a nice crisp, I definitely enjoyed munching on them.

I came here for the concrete, and I went with the one with the ingredients I liked. Caramel, chocolate, and toffee. Sign me up please! I had debated on getting a shake instead, but I went ahead and ordered both. I enjoyed the malt chocolate shake, but if you're only allowed to choose one, I'd go with the concrete.

In the end, it was a bit too much food for an army of one. However, I left stuffed, happy, and ready to visit Shake Shack again when I'm in New York City again. I have much love for In-N-Out, but I did like Shake Shack just a tiny bit more. So I guess I'll be eating here again in a month!

I do apologize for these poor pictures. Taking pictures and eating in the cold definitely had some downfalls.

Shake Shack
11 Madison Ave
New York, NY 10010
(646) 747-8770
Website

14 comments:

Daniel S. said...

Great write-up! I love this place and I went crazy here last time I was in NY. Way better than In and Out IMO.

Dot. said...

Hi Danny! I just stumbled upon your blog and love it! I run my own food blog, and will be adding you to my list of blogs, hope you don't mind! :)

Gastronomer said...

I ate at Shake Shack back in 2008 and didn't think it was all that great. Then again, I had just come from Luger's, so I wasn't feeling particularly hungry. However, I did enjoy the Hopscotch concrete even though it was a little melted.

catty said...

i CANNOT wait for Shake Shack! Looks amazing :) my friend told me to try the jelly donut concrete shake lol. sounds crazy! Minetta must be insanely good to be better than this!

gourmetpigs said...

That shake stack looks great. What's the price?
I've been wanting to try this place for a while but I always gave in to the cold and told myself I didn't need a shake.

Celia said...

I'm a confirmed addict. One tip: if you're around there, and getting your Shack on in winter, the UWS location has indoor seating...

Diana said...

I didn't realize the Shake Shack had a mushroom burger! Looks tremendous! I think I'd be happy to pillage that shack with my army of one. ;)

bagnatic said...

wow.
really?
no you didn't...
oh but you did.
dang.

Pinoy Panda said...

Go Big or Go Home? I'm afraid we're gonna Go Big or Go Bigger! Can't wait to try all of these in a few weeks. I'll try to shed some pounds for the onslaugth that's about to come.

nelehelen said...

omg i misssss shake shack! their shakes are sooo good as well..

Kung Food Panda said...

Daniel: I agree, 100%!

Dot: Thanks, of course not. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

Cathy: You should try it again. I love In N Out, but I do prefer Shake Shack just a tad more...

Catty: Let me know how your Shake Shack visit turns out!

Fiona: The Shack Stack was $9. The whole meal, fries, shake and concrete was under $25. Definitely not cheap, but I kinda went nuts!

Kung Food Panda said...

Celia: I might have to take your advice with that one!

Diana: Mushroom and Meat, but of course, you can go the vegetarian route as well. So good!

Amy: But. Of Course....I did!

PP: Haha, I'm pretty sure we'll also Go Big or Go Bigger! LOL

Helen: Amen to that! :)

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

just writing about shake shack haha! so sad i didn't get the concrete and stuck to a shake too much eating that day to fit in one more sweet if you can believe it!

Ajlounyinjurylaw said...

That looks like an all american menu with a personal touch. I like it.