Friday, February 11, 2011

Jean Georges - Lunch Prix Fixe Plus A Supplement (New York City)

Jean Georges

Jean Georges

After picking Le Bernardin over Jean Georges as one of my dinner options, I figured it's appropriate to make the "loser" of the two restaurant as my lunch option, especially after hearing about the "steal" of a lunch prix fixe. Along with two of my dining companions, we each ordered two items and shared each course. This is how we roll, as sharing is caring!

Amuse Bouche

Amuse Bouche

The problem with blogging things one year after the meal? I seriously have no idea what were the items on the plate. It was tasty, but nothing really memorable on the plate.

Foie Gras Brulee

Foie Gras Brulee

Rich tastes of foie gras, what could be better? This is one of Jean Georges signature dishes and I can see why it's a must order item. It's easily the best dish amongst the six we ordered.

skate with chateau chalon sauce

Skate With Chateau Chalon Sauce

The skate itself was cooked beautifully, but I'm not sure I was feeling the chateau chalon sauce. I liked the dish, but I don't think I'd order it again.

Gulf shrimp w/smoked bacon

Gulf Shrimp With Smoked Bacon

Now this one was tasty. Shrimp, bacon, oh ya! I wish there were more shrimp in this one, but no complaints from me here.

Red Snapper Crusted with nuts and seeds, sweet and sour jus

Red Snapper Crusted with Nuts and Seeds, Sweet and Sour Jus


I want to say I liked this dish, but I just don't remember it...let's blame old age and a good, but probably not so memorable dish on this one.

Veal with bleu cheese

Pork Loin? Veal? Some Sort of Meat with Bleu Cheese

If that last dish description was bad, I truly have no clue what protein this one was. I think it's pork loin, but for some reason I also think it's veal. Whatever it was, it had bleu cheese, so I don't think I'll give a good review. Next!

Fried Sweetbread

Fried Sweetbread


This was a dish I ordered. Sweetbread is something I like a lot and I enjoyed this preparation. I wish there were more of it, but definitely no complaints from me with this one.

MarshmallowMarshmallowMarshmallowMarshmallowMarshmallow

Marshmallow

It's rare, and it might be shocking, but I passed on dessert. I knew there would be marshmallow and petits fours to follow, so that's all the sweets I'll need. The house made marshmallows was served tableside and it was quite delicious.

Petits FoursPetits Fours

Petits Fours

Macaron and chocolate, I don't think you could go wrong here. A nice sweet way to end a meal.

The meal as a whole was good, but to me, it's quite disappointing for a three Michelin Star restaurant. There truly wasn't a memorable dish, which probably was the main reason I passed on dessert in the first place. Now, some may argue this was only their lunch service and their "A" team wasn't present in the kitchen, but shouldn't the food quality remain the same? I thought about returning to Jean Georges for my upcoming NYC trip, as the lunch prix fixe is truly a great deal for a restaurant of this magnitude. Will I discourage people from trying Jean Georges? Of course not, but for me, at least this time, I feel there are other places worth checking out instead of Jean Georges.

So what's the supplement you ask? I certainly didn't leave the meal at Jean Georges stuffed and after hearing all the hype about the Halal Cart on 53rd and 6th, I knew I had to give it a try!

Halal Cart 53/6Halal Cart 53/6Halal Cart 53/6Halal Cart 53/6Halal Cart 53/6

Lamb and Rice

So. Fucking. Good! Any questions? And yes, it was better than my meal at Jean Georges. Sad, isn't it? Next time, I'm going to get extra white sauce and do a half and half with lamb and chicken. Great post drink food, great lunch food, and I guess for me, a great post-Jean Georges food!

Jean-Georges Restaurant
Trump International Hotel And Tower
1 Central Park West, New York, NY 10023
(212) 299-3900
Website


53rd and 6th Halal Cart
Opens until 4am

7 comments:

Pinoy Panda said...

Good post KFP, but you really need to blog it sooner. It's too bad you couldn't remember what you ate or how it tasted. Hahaha. Can't wait to try that Halal Cart.

Diana said...

Maybe I am craving sweets, because that foie gras looked like bread pudding to me, and the sweetbreads looked like donuts.

KrisDub said...

I was thinking the same thing about the sweetbreads as Diana! Looks yummy, but sad you don't remember it. If it had been amazing you would have.

bagnatic said...

the halal cart looks amazing. i would save belly real estate for that cart.

weezermonkey said...

Am I the only one who loved Jean Georges?! LOL.

Gastronomer said...

Fine dining is nice, but the Halal cart is definitely more my kinda thing. I shall check it out this Spring!

Kung Food Panda said...

PP: I'm slacking. Sorry you weren't able to try the Halal Cart this time around. Next year perhaps.

Diana: Hahaha, well the thing is that the Foie Gras Brulee was definitely the best thing that day. JG was a disappointment...

Kristen: I'm old. Bad memories.. :-/

Amy: Haha, it's a shame there's too many imitation Halal Carts on 53/6 now. I got stuck with a fake one.

WM: Sorry, it looks that way. Maybe I should do dinner there instead?

Cathy: Help me find the real Halal Cart!