Friday, February 18, 2011

Peter Luger - Best Steakhouse In America? (Brooklyn, New York)

Peter Luger
Peter Luger

When I was told the burger at Peter Luger was something worth going to for lunch, I figured it's a good excuse to try their steak as well. Since the burger was only served at lunch, thus I added Peter Luger to my lunch list.

Bread
Bread

Peter Luger Steak Sauce
Peter Luger Steaksauce

Instead of butter, I dip my bread in Peter Luger's famous steak sauce. Fantastic, just wonderful. I think I want to get a bottle of that sauce next time!

Luger's Sizzling Bacon, Extra Thick by the Slice
Luger's Sizzling Bacon

Besides the steak, you order the bacon when you eat at Peter Luger, no ifs or buts. The thick cut of bacon was purely divine. I'd go to Peter Luger just to order this!

Luger Burger
Luger Burger
Fries
Fries

I want to say I loved the burger, but I didn't. It's a damn good burger, especially for something under $10. However, I liked my burgers at Minetta Tavern and Shack Shake a lot more. The fries are pretty unforgettable, but was heightened by the Luger Steaksauce.

Steak for One
Steak for One
Steak for One

This is why I came to Peter Luger in the first place, for the steak. A perfectly cooked medium rare, does it get better than this?? Now, was it the best steak I've ever had? I didn't think so, but for the price (under $40 a person), you could do a lot worse than a steak at Peter Luger. I enjoyed my experience here and will definitely come back for its sizzling bacon, the steak, and of course, that damn good steaksauce!

Peter Luger Steakhouse
178 Broadway
Brooklyn, NY 11211
(718) 387-7400
Website

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had some friends from Philly who would always talk about Peter Luger's being the best streak they've ever eaten. Even if it's not the best steak in the US (it probably isn't) it looks like the of place where the atmosphere makes the experience just as much as the food.

weezermonkey said...

Am I the only one who's not impressed by Peter Luger? I went in 2004. It was fine, but nothing special. :(

The Thirsty Pig said...

Would you say overrate?. . . But I'd still like to try it

nelehelen said...

one of my gfs said it was the best steak she's ever had... so i guess everyone's experience varies?

Gastronomer said...

Good thing you didn't share your Lugar burger with a friend. They charge a split fee of $4! Vern and I were not pleased about that!

Pinoy Panda said...

Hey! How come we didn't go if you wanted to "come back for its sizzling bacon, the steak, and of course, that damn good steaksauce!"? LOL

I know our one week schedule was quite packed. All the more reason to return to NYC soon.

Kung Food Panda said...

losangelicioustimes: I would say this. It's probably not the best steakhouse in the USA, BUT, it's definitely worth a trip if you're in the area.

WM: For the price I can't complain, but if I don't ever make it back to Peter Luger, I think I'll be OK!

Jimmy: Slightly overrated, but worth a try. At least go for the bacon.

Helen: I think everyone has a different palate...it's good, but not memorable.

Cathy: Damn! I did not know that.

Remil: We ran out of time and stomach real estate! Next time, maybe.