Monday, March 28, 2011

ChikaLicious - A Sweet Good Time! (New York City)

Chikalicious
Chikalicious

For most people, the thing to do after a heavy lunch would be a nice walk to digest the food they've ingested (In my case, it was lunch at Jean Georges and then a Chicken and Rice at the Halal Cart) so they would be hungry by dinner time. In the case of the fat ass Panda here, I went for a dessert tasting. Hey, I walked to the dessert tasting, give me SOME credit there (so I tell myself that). Given this was my last day in New York (trip from 2010), I figured I had to try ChikaLicious before I depart the Big Apple.

Chika
Chika
Chika at Work

Since ChikaLicious was comprised of mainly bar seating, I happily took a seat from my "court side" view to the open kitchen. The menu at ChikaLicious is quite simple: For $14, you get an amuse, a choice of dessert, and petits fours. There's also an optional $8 wine pairing for your dessert choice.

Caramel Apple Soup
Apple Sorbet in Caramel Soup

We were all given the same amuse, which as shown above was a apple sorbet in a caramel soup. The refreshing apple sorbet was a nice start to the tasting, and the dish as a whole reminded me of a caramel apple. It was quite delicious.

Warm Chocolate Tart with Pink Peppercorn Ice Cream and Red Wine Sauce
Warm Chocolate Tart with Pink Peppercorn Ice Cream and Red Wine Sauce
Brioche Crumb Cake soaked in Wine-Rum Syrup with Creme Chantilly and Clementine Sorbet
Brioche Crumb Cake soaked in Wine-Rum Syrup with Creme Chantilly and Clementine Sorbet
White Chocolate Mousse Profiterole with Blood Orange and Frosted Pistachio
White Chocolate Mousse Profiterole with Blood Orange and Frosted Pistachio

My friends and I were able to taste a few of the choices that day and enjoyed it as a whole. Now, was it my favorite desserts I've ever had? No, not even close. However, you really can't go wrong with any of the choices here. My favorite of the trio was definitely the brioche crumb cake with the clementine sorbet. I enjoyed the rum flavors in the cake and the citrus taste of the sorbet was a nice complement of that particular dessert.

Petits Fours
Petit Fours

The dessert tasting was finished off with a simple petits fours. Again, all three petits fours were delicious.

ChikaLicious is definitely a place to try if you have a sweet tooth like myself. The ambiance was relaxing, so relaxing in fact, I didn't even bother with my dSLR and I just used my point and shoot camera there. The desserts here were simple and elegant, so don't expect anything extravagant, or you'll be left disappointed. At this price point, I was extremely happy with what I had that day. Also, just as a note: if you're on the go, there is a ChikaLicious To-Go right across the street!

ChikaLicious
203 East 10th Street
New York, NY 10003-7636
(212) 475-0929
Website

11 comments:

Gastronomer said...

What an ADORABLE little spot. Perhaps I will give it a go in May. Thanks for the report, KFP.

weezermonkey said...

You are a trooper!

Darin said...

Jean Georges, Halal cart, then this?? I like it!

Bonnibella said...

I like the concept of Chika with the dessert tasting. You can schedule a dessert tasting at Joel Robouchon, The Mansion.

Diana said...

Hah, you are totally dialing my number with this one. Dessert tastings rock! :)

Was that brioche crumb cake similar to bread pudding?

Banana Wonder said...

Chika cuteness!

bagnatic said...

so like am i a dork or what when i thought you wrote chick-fil-A? then i saw these cute looking desserts and thought, this is SO NOT a piece of chicken.

Kung Food Panda said...

Cathy: Do check it out!

WM: Go Big or Go Home is my motto!

Darin: It's how I roll!

Bonni: How much is that tasting?

Kung Food Panda said...

Diana: I know you love desserts! :) That cake wasn't as wet (is that the best way to say it?) as a bread pudding is. Personally, I'd prefer a bread pudding even more.

Anna: Yup!

Amy: Nothing wrong with Chick-fil-A either. LOL

Pandalicious said...

haha, i do the same thing! eat and eat more!

pretty pix, will bookmark for my next visit!

Kung Food Panda said...

Amy: Let me know what you think when you visit!