Monday, April 4, 2011

The Breslin - A Rare "Meh" In The Big Apple (New York City)

The Breslin
The Breslin

I think by now, most people have assumed I'm a NYC based blogger or just really love the Big Apple. While I'd love to be living in NYC, the latter is more appropriate at this time. The city itself, the nightlife, the cocktail bars, and of course, the food scene here is truly out of this world. During my trips to NYC in the past few years, I've rarely had an average meal. Well.....probably except for just one.

The Breslin
April Bloomfield Running the Line


The brunch at The Breslin came about after the failed dinner attempt at The Spotted Pig a few nights prior, and after hearing many great things about Chef Bloomfield, I knew I had to try The Breslin.

Pumpkin Pancakes with Spiced Chili Pecan Butter
Pumpkin Pancakes with Spiced Chili Pecan Butter

The pancakes were fine, but I wasn't feeling the Chili Pecan Butter. Next!

Fried Peanut and Banana Sandwich with Bourbon and Vanilla
Fried Peanut and Banana Sandwich with Bourbon and Vanilla

This was one thing I didn't try, but from what I remembered, the person that ordered it wasn't in love with the dish either.

Chargrilled Skirt Steak with Green Sauce and Fried Eggs
Chargrilled Skirt Steak with Green Sauce and Fried Eggs
Chargrilled Skirt Steak with Green Sauce and Fried Eggs

This was probably my favorite dish of the meal. Though it would have to be a total fail for them to make me hate steak and eggs. The steak was cooked to a perfect medium rare and remained juicy and tender. The eggs were cooked perfectly over easy.

Warm Smoked Salmon with Bacon, Chives, and Garlic Butter Sauce
Warm Smoked Salmon with Bacon, Chives, and Garlic Butter Sauce

While I thought this was a good dish, it really wasn't anything special. I was hoping the garlic butter sauce would add something to the smoked salmon. It really didn't do it for me.

Chargrilled Lamb Burger w/Cumin Mayo and Thrice Cooked Chips
Chargrilled Lamb Burger w/Cumin Mayo and Thrice Cooked Chips
Chargrilled Lamb Burger w/Cumin Mayo and Thrice Cooked Chips

Now, to the MAIN reason I think most of us came to The Breslin,the lamb burger. I have to say I'm a burger fan. From the time I was 4 years old eating my Happy Meals from McDonald's in the mean streets of Taipei, to trying some of those "hood" burgers in the streets of Inglewood and Compton (Which BTW, are fantastic! Heart attack inducing yes, but fucking fantastic nevertheless), there's really nothing better than a juicy burger cooked medium rare. Now, I hope I came on an off day or something, because the lamb burger just wasn't very good. None of us really cared for it. The lamb patty was fairly dry and bland. Sadly, the thrice cooked chips were the best thing on the plate.

House Made Sausages
House Made Sausages
House Cured Bacon
House Cured Bacon
Baked Beans in Pork Fat
Bean in Pork Fat

Above were three of the sides ordered. The sides themselves were fine. Standard meaty goodness, though again, it wasn't anything special enough I had to come back and eat again.

The Breslin

While I might be harsh in my review, my meal at The Breslin was easily the most disappointing to date during my trips to New York City. While I haven't tried the regular lunch or dinner menu at The Breslin, with all the fine dining establishments in the Big Apple, I'd be lying if I said I'm planning to go back and try it again. After the initial disappointment of not making it to Spotted Pig, maybe it was actually a blessing in disguise.

The Breslin @ The Ace Hotel
16 W 29th St
New York, NY 10001
(646) 214-5788
Website

10 comments:

Banana Wonder said...

Ahhh, booooo! Too bad it was a Meh, esp since lamb burgers are hard to mess up!

Diana said...

What a bummer! You need to try the lamb burger at the Golden State - now that's a burger to get excited about! Tons of flavor!

Darin said...

Really disappointed to hear this. I've heard such positive things about Bloomfield's food!

Gastronomer said...

You can't win 'em all, D! I like brunching at Veselka when I'm in NYC.

weezermonkey said...

Dry burger?! I cry. :(

glutster said...

Noooo! I was so excited to try this out next time I was in town :(

oh well.

bagnatic said...

ewww...sounds like a waste of belly real estate.

Kung Food Panda said...

Anna: Ya, I was disappointed myself. You can't win them all I guess...

Diana: Yup, I need to try Golden State soon.

Darin: Ya, it's a shame. My friend wasn't too keen on John Dory Bar either. I doubt I'll make it back to her restaurants anytime soon...

Cathy: I need to try that next time!

Kung Food Panda said...

WM: I cry too...

Javier: I hope you do try it and tell me differently, but none of us were that impressed by it.

Amy: You got that right sis!

Anonymous said...

keep posting like this it’s really very good idea, you are awesome!

cheap clomid