Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Taiwan Beef Noodle Soup Tour Stop #2: Lao Shan Dong Homemade Noodles - 台灣牛肉麵導遊之二: 老山東牛肉家常麵店 (Taipei, Taiwan)

老山東牛肉家常麵店
Lao Shan Dong Homemade Noodles (老山東牛肉家常麵店)

Lao Shan Dong, as the picture above shows, was established back in 1949. Located in the basement of Wan Nian Shopping Center (萬年大樓), in heart of the XiMenDing (西門盯), a popular area of Taipei, it's been under the same ownership since the very beginning. While the restaurant has been handed down through the generations, the quality of the food remained consistent. I've eaten at Lao Shan Dong as a kid growing up in Taiwan, and have continued to patron here during my yearly trips back to Taiwan. This past visit was no exception, as Lao Shan Dong is one of my family's favorite place to eat beef noodle soup in Taipei.

老山東牛肉家常麵店
老山東牛肉家常麵店
The Owner and Her Crew Making Dumplings

Why do we go back so often? Well, as you can see here, everything from the noodles to the dumplings are handmade. Also, the owners were originally from the ShanDong Province (山東省) much like my mom's side of the family, thus it's definitely flavors they're used to. Above, the owner (in yellow) was chatting with my mom and aunt.

Pork Gelatin (肉凍)
Pork Gelatin (肉凍)
Pork Gelatin - rou dong (肉凍)

This is a must order item at Lao Shan Dong. Loosely translated by me as pork gelatin, or 肉凍 in Chinese, this gelatinous' primary ingredient is pork skin. Thus, I've probably turned off most of the readers, but if you're one that enjoys pork skin, this pork gelatin is fantastic. You'll get a bit of meat, a lot of skin, and add a bit of chili paste and thick soy sauce (醬膏), it's delicious.

Beancurd (涼拌豆腐乾)
Beancurd - dou fu gan (涼拌豆腐乾)

This is a staple at most beef noodle soup places. You really can't go wrong with a delicious plate of beancurd to go along with a bowl of beef noodle soup.

Dumplings (水餃)
Dumplings - Suai Jiao (水餃)

If you're eating at any Shandong-nese establishment, it's a sin by not ordering a plate of dumplings. The owner told us that they get the skin specially made by this one guy for the past forty plus years and there hasn't been a change in the family recipe since the inception of the restaurant back in 1949. The chive and pork dumplings were juicy and delicious. I'd highly recommend it.

Beef Noodle Soup 牛肉麵
Beef Noodle Soup 牛肉麵
Beef Noodle Soup 牛肉麵
Beef Noodle Soup - hong shao niu rou mian (紅燒牛肉麵)

The broth and the noodles were the definite stars of this bowl. The richness of the beef broth was evident and its oils were quite flagrant, yet not too intense. The noodles were of the knife cut variety, my favorite. The beef was plentiful and tender. All in all, it was just a wonderful bowl of beef noodle soup for me, and this is easily a top 3 bowl of beef noodle soup in my book. I can't wait to go back for another bowl of this stuff later on this year!

老山東牛肉家常麵店
Lao Shan Dong (老山東牛肉家常麵店)

Lao Shan Dong has made a few changes since its inception back in 1949. While the restaurant has gone through a few interior makeovers, the food, thankfully, has not. My family has been eating here before I was even born. I mean, if this is a place where both my mom and I both approve of, can you pass on this? There are a lot of good stuff on the menu, but don't pass on the pork gelatin, dumplings and the beef noodle soup!

老山東牛肉家常麵店
Lao Shan Dong (老山東牛肉家常麵店)

在萬年大樓地下室的老山東﹐這理的牛肉麵真的很好吃。我在看他們包餃子﹐桿麵條﹐
全部都是手工。而且假如你去老山東﹐你一定要點他們有名的肉凍。那個肉凍又Q又
爽口。冰冰涼涼的真好吃﹗它們的牛肉麵真的不賴。麵QQ的﹐牛肉湯的香也很吸引
人。我的家人在這裡已經吃了幾十年了﹐你也試試看吧﹗

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Lao Shan Dong Homemade Noodles (老山東牛肉家常麵店)
Wan Nian Shopping Center, Basement Level #15  (萬年商業大樓地下室 #15)
Xi Ning South Rd #70,Taipei, Taiwan  (台北市西寧南路70號 )
Phone: (02) 2389-1216

View Larger Map

6 comments:

Pinoy Panda said...

I think that this might be the best looking beef noodle soup I've ever seen. And who wouldn't like that pork gelatin. Put it in between a steamed bun and I'm done! Nice post KFP!

Beef No Guy said...

Yup went here in 2005 and found it quite enjoyable. It was a toss between this or the pork chop specialty restauarant next door and we went here. The marinated seaweed and pigs ear appetizers were quite good and I agree, the dumplings were superb, and surprisingly San Tung in San Francisco can make them taste close (except ST doesn't have pork and chive, only pork and cabbage).

Gastronomer said...

Pork gelatin? YES PLEASE! I love pig's skin! This place looks fabulous, Danny!

Banana Wonder said...

Not sold on that pork gelatin my dear, but sign me up for a bowl of those dumplings and an outing with the MOM! Shei shei!

bagnatic said...

it is funny that you said, "I've probably turned off most of the readers" when you mentioned the pork gelatin cuz i was like, whoa...that looks great! i want some!

Kung Food Panda said...

Remil: It's one of my all time favorites! :) There's no bun for the gelatin though. You eat it as is.

BNG: I actually saw your post as well. I'm glad you liked this place too. I think we might have gone to a few of the same places, like one of my upcoming posts, 72 NRM.

Cathy: It was dericious!

Anna: I think dumplings are loved by everyone! :)

Amy: Haha, you're so Asian lah :P