Sunday, May 8, 2011

Welcome To Taiwan (歡迎參觀台灣)

CKS Memorial Hall
Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall (中正紀念堂)

Over the next few weeks, I'll be writing about my trip back to my birth country of Taiwan. Even though the trip occurred last fall, Taiwan is a place I'd visit at least once or twice a year, easily making it my second home. I love the culture, people, shopping, and of course, the food there. Although this recent trip was more for a family matter, thus a lack of pictures than usual, I hope to add more to this section on my upcoming Asia trip this fall.

Taiwanese Breakfast
Taiwanese Breakfast (臺式早餐)

After landing at CKS International Airport at 6AM in the morning, the only thing that was on my mind was getting some food in my stomach. After being picked up at the airport by my friends Roxy and her husband Dennis, we stopped by their house in Linkou (林口區), which is in the Taipei district. Along the way, picked up some Taiwanese breakfast. Since I had a meal with my relatives in a few hours, I had to make it light.

Sweet Soymilk (甜豆漿)
Sweet Soy Milk - dou jian (甜豆漿)
Chinese Donut wrapped with Egg Pancake (油條包蛋餅)
Chinese Donut wrapped with Egg Pancake - you tiao bao dan bing (油條包蛋餅)

Nothing says welcome to Taiwan to me than some Chinese donut, egg pancake and soymilk. This is a total #winning in my book. Now, those that knows me probably knows I dislike fried dough, well, I usually make an exception with Chinese donuts (油條). Bias yes, but I grew up with this stuff when I lived in Taiwan. Coming up will be a series of posts about one of my favorite things to eat, Beef Noodle Soup (牛肉麵), aka NRM. I look forward to writing about those places.

台灣是我的寶島。我希望在這幾個星期中可以把我去年秋天回台的旅遊記入在我的網
站裡。一大早到中正機場以後﹐我第一個想到的就是吃的。還好我的朋友們家玉還
有她的先生葉蛋蛋從機場就帶我去吃早點。油條包蛋餅和豆漿。真的超贊的﹗

從下一個作文開始我會開始寫我超喜歡的牛肉麵。希望大家會繼續的讀。謝謝

10 comments:

weezermonkey said...

You dislike fried dough?!

You should listen to The Airborne Toxic Event (my current blog post). The guitarist is one of us! LOL!

Aaron said...

Looking forward to this series Danny. I wish I knew more about Taiwanese food. As a request, could you also include how some of the goods are pronounced as best you can? Being illiterate is a real drag when ordering in Chinese.

Banana Wonder said...

Those chinese donuts do sound like they are #winning. I can't wait to read your updates about your trip. Can I come with you on the next?

gourmetpigs said...

Donuts wrapped in pancake, yum!

And ditto weezermonkey: you dislike fried dough, what's wrong with you? :P

kirbie said...

Oh I'm so excited for this series. Normally it would just make me miss Taiwan, but I'm going back this Fall, so now I can actually maybe put some places on my to-do list!

bagnatic said...

woot i can read a few of the chinese characters! go me and saturday chinese school!

you tiao is DA BOMB. never had it wrapped with egg though. where can i get this version in the sgv? hmmm?

Kung Food Panda said...

WM: Go Taiwanese people! :) And yes, I'm usually not a fan of fried dough.

Aaron: Great idea. I've made the changes.

Anna: I'm going in November, want to come? :)

Fiona: I don't know, donuts, churros, etc aren't my thing.

Kirbie: I'll be back in the fall too! :)

Amy: I can type in Chinese to you in the future then. I'm sure you can request you tiao with egg pancake at a Taiwanese breakfast place in the SGV

Bonnibella said...

Never seen donuts wrapped in egg before! If there a sauce or anything? Looks simple but soul good! Love that you are writing your experience in Chinese too. I get to practice!

Gastronomer said...

I LOVED the warm soy milk when I visited China. I bet the stuff you get in Taiwan is even better because Taiwan is better than China ;-)

Looking forward to learning more about the motherland.

Kung Food Panda said...

Bonni: It's not on the menu, I just like it that way :) I add some hot sauce and soy sauce paste to this thing, but I started to eat it before taking another picture. I'm doing the Chinese writing for the fun of it, I figured it's appropriate with this Taiwan series. :)

Cathy: LOL, yup. Taiwan IS better than China!