Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sushi Zo - A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words (Los Angeles)

Sushi Zo
Sushi Zo

Like with most food bloggers, I have quite a backlog of posts that dates all the way back to 2009. Sadly, with my frequent amount of dining out, the backlog just keeps growing and most of my photos will probably never see the light of day. However, Sushi Zo has been one of the places I wanted to post about. Even though I do have notes that documented this meal, I feel it's easier to let the pictures do the talking with this post. Below was the omakase tasting (chef's choice) at Sushi Zo.

Sushi Zo
Sushi Zo
Rules of Zo

Kirin Draft
Kirin on Tap

Gari (Ginger)
Gari (Ginger)

When the ginger arrives on the table, you know it's time for some sushi!

Miso Soup
Miso Soup

Kumamoto Oyster
Kumamoto Oyster

Maguro (Big Eye Tuna)
Maguro (Big Eye Tuna)

Awabi (Abalone)
Awabi (Abalone)

Tako/Uni (Cuttlefish Noodles and Uni)
Uni Cuttlefish Noodles with Ponzu and Soy

This dish was quite delicious, though I personally love sea urchin roe.

Hirame (Halbut)
Hirame (Halbut)

Aji (Japanese Mackerel)
Aji (Japanese Mackerel)

Hotate (Scallop)
Hotate (Scallop)

Shiro Maguro (Albacore Tuna)
Shiro Maguro (Albacore Tuna)

Hamachi (Yellowtail)
Hamachi (Yellowtail)

Toro (Big Eye Fatty Tuna)
Toro (Big Eye Fatty Tuna)

Kampachi (Amberjack)
Kampachi (Amberjack)

Ibodai (Butterfish)
Ibodai (Butterfish)

Amaebi (Sweet Shrimp)
Amaebi (Sweet Shrimp)

Meji Maguro (Baby Tuna)
Meji Maguro (Baby Tuna)

Mirugai (Geoduck)
Mirugai (Geoduck)

Kurodai (Black Snapper)
Kurodai (Black Snapper)

Kinmedai (Golden Eye Snapper)
Kinmedai (Golden Eye Snapper)

Sawara (Spanish Mackerel)
Sawara (Spanish Mackerel)

Ankimo (Monkfish Liver)
Ankimo (Monkfish Liver)

Ikura (Salmon Roe) and Uni (Sea Urchin Roe)
Ikura (Salmon Roe) and Uni (Sea Urchin Roe)
Ikura (Salmon Roe) and Uni (Sea Urchin Roe)

Anago (Sea Eel)
Anago (Sea Eel)

Toro Handroll
Toro Handroll

Tamago (Egg)
Tamago (Egg)

Blue Crab Hand Roll
Blue Crab Handroll

And last, but not least, we finished off the omakase with a yuzu shot.

Yuzu Shot
Yuzu Shot

Sushi Zo
Bill (Omakase was about $102/person)

What's my take on Sushi Zo? I did enjoy my meal. All of the fish served that night were fresh and delicious, yet I thought the flavors were a bit too similar. Quite a few of the fish were buttery and rich, and although there's nothing wrong with that fact, I was hoping for something different. As many have noted in the past, the sushi chef there was a bit cold and aloof. Although we sat on the side table, there were virtually no contact between the chef and us, the patrons. While I would dine at Sushi Zo again, it's been two years since this dinner, and I haven't given any thoughts of going back just yet. Personally, I think there are better sushi out there, and probably at a better price. If you haven't tried Sushi Zo, I'd say give it a shot, but just don't expect to be wowed.

Think we were done? Not quite yet....we stopped to get pies at Apple Pan.

Banana Cream Pie
Apple Pie à La Mode
Top: Banana Cream Pie. Bottom Apple Pie a la mode

The only thing I could say is: Team Fatass 4 Life!

Sushi Zo
9824 National Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90034-2713
(310) 842-397

15 comments:

Ravenous Couple said...

We would cry if we ate $1000 of food and felt hungry after :)

Banana Wonder said...

WOW! For a second I thought you were dinning in another country with different currency. Damn! Regardless, beautiful photos and even though I hate bananas that banana cream pie looks divine :-)

Pandalicious said...

looks yummy! very expensive tho.

Catty Critic said...

I was all ooooh omakase! The sushi looked delish! But then I saw the bill and thought NO EFFING WAY. Cheap ass Asian for life! ;)

KrisDub said...

Want! Want want want! What would you say: Nozawa or Zo?

Aaron said...

What are uni cuttlefish noodles?

BeefNoGuy said...

We were here I think Sept 2007 or so? Can't remember. But looks almost identical to what I had. Have to say that Keizo slices the fish long but thin, and the warm rice was a slight bit off putting, but overall much better than a lot of places in Northern California. I love the yuzu juice at the end, but my friend who went a month ago didn't get it at the end of his meal.

kish said...

that toro looks insanely awesome.

not sure if it's the photography, or the actual color or a combination of both.....but goodness gracious.

and the aji....oh how i love mackerel.

way to the end the meal greatly....yuzu shot.

that sucks you weren't completely blown off your feet. for any sort of omakase

gourmetpigs said...

Every time I go, I always want to ask for a big glass of that yuzu, but I'm intimidated.

Oh, and banana cream pie FTW

Pinoy Panda said...

If I had to name one pie that makes my knees shake, it would have to be a banana cream pie. Dericious!! Oh nice post on the sushi. Almost forgot all about it when I saw the pie. LOL

Gastronomer said...

Omakase and then PIES!? OMG, Panda! And you are right, a picture IS worth a thousand words.

joanh said...

after having amazing and affordable sashimi in taipei, i cannot bear to pay the prices like at sushi zo.. next time you come to taiwan, i'll have to tell you my fave secret sushi bars here.. SO good and SO affordable you won't believe it.
but banana creme pie, yum!

Kung Food Panda said...

Hong/Kim: I should have been more clear with the price. Omakase was a bit over $100. It was a good dinner, but nothing special IMO.

Anna: That banana pie was bomb!

Amy: It's an expensive place, and a bit cold IMO. I would go back, though not any time soon.

Rosa: Haha, I'm cheap too, but I do splurge on good sushi!. It's about $100/person for omakase.

Kung Food Panda said...

Kristen: I haven't had Nozawa, so I might have to try it soon.

Aaron: Raw cuttlefish in this uni sauce. If I remember well, it was mighty tasty. Though I love uni.

Ken: Strange if they took away that yuzu shot. From what I've seen, there's not much variety in Zo's fish, thus I'm not too gung ho in trying it again anytime soon. I actually like the warm rice, but the fish all tasted the same in the end.

Kish: The fish was good, but it was too similar for me in the end. I liked the meal, but for the price, I wasn't overly impressed.

Kung Food Panda said...

Fiona: Agreed with the yuzu shot AND the banana cream pie! I haven't had Apple Pan in awhile.....

Remil: Dericious indeed. I think I liked the pie more.

Cathy: Thanks Cathy! I'm also kinda lazy :P

Joan: What are some of your favorites in Taipei?