Thursday, June 16, 2011

Taiwan Picture Post - What I Ate Part 1 (Taipei, Taiwan)

Vegetable
Bamboo

You know what time it is?  It's time for a picture blog post! This will be part 1 of probably 2 or 3 on the various food I ate during my trip to Taiwan last Fall. I'll make a few comments along the way. Enjoy!

Stewed Pork Rice (Lu Ba Bun)
Stewed Pork Rice (魯肉飯)

Fatty Pork & Pork Jowl
Fatty Pork and Pork Jowl
Pig's Feet
Pig's Feet

The stewed pork rice has always been one of my favorite things to eat in Taiwan.

Shaved Ice
Black Sugar Shaved Ice

A little shaved ice to cool things down on a humid night....

Yang's Star Fruit Ice
Cheng Du Starfruit Ice Shop

One of my favorite places. I always get their starfruit ice. It's right outside exit 6 (I think) of the MRT in Xi Meng Ding. Great stuff, especially on a hot and humid day.

Star Fruit Ice
Star Fruit Ice
Starfruit Ice
Peanut Tofu Flower
Peanut Tofu Flower
Peanut Tofu Flower

One can't have too much dessert right? After getting the cup of starfruit ice, I went for a bowl of refreshingly cold peanut tofu flower. I love this stuff!

Pepper Bao
Pepper Bao
Pepper Bao
Pepper Bao (胡椒餅)

This place was made famous by the stand located at Rao He Night Market, this "bao" was loaded with green onions and meat. Delicious. Located around Hen Yang Road, it's nice to have a 2nd location outside of the night market.

"Ma La" Hot Pot. My go-to place for Hot Pot
Ma-La Hot Pot

This is one of my go to spots for spicy hot pot. Located near National Taiwan University, it seems that I always make a stop or two whenever I'm back in Taiwan. The selection here was pretty good, plenty of meat and seafood. It also offers unlimited Hagen-Daz ice cream and fresh fruit. One thing that's new on my most recent visit: All you can drink Taiwan beer! All this for a low cost of $15 for lunch!

Meat Options
The "Goods!"
Hot Pot
All You Can Drink Taiwan Beer!
Hot Pot!

Fried Rice
Shrimp Feng Chang
Shrimp Dumplings
Dim Sum

A few selections of dim sum in Taiwan.

Oyster Think Noodles
Combo
Oyster Think Noodles
Taiwanese Sausage
Oyster Think Noodles
Oyster Think Noodles
Now This Is My Kind Of Combo!


For about $3, you get all this food. I can't complain about this at all.

Sugar Cane Juice
Sugar Cane Juice Stand

I've been coming here to this particular stand since I was a kid. In fact, my mom has been here before I was born. It's always hits the spot for me!

Sugar Cane Juice
Sugar Cane Juice
Sugar Cane Juice
No, This Is Not A Piss Bag
Sugar Cane Juice
Sugar Cane Juice

Now this is Winning! Sometimes I'd drink it out of the "piss bag" if I'm roaming the market, but most of the time I'll take it home and move it to a glass container. Make sure to ask for a few sprays of lemon juice, it makes the sugar cane juice even better!

Now, a little night market fun with my cousin and her husband. This time it's a night market that I've yet been in my previous trips. I was taken to the San He Night Market.

Lu Wei
Lu Wei
Lu Wei
Lu Wei
Lu Wei
Lu Wei

I love this stuff! This is called lu wei, which is fairly common at various night markets in Taiwan. Basically it's a mix of offals, tofu, blood cake, etc, all mixed together in spices, sour mustard, and other ingredients. Served in a bag and toothpicks, it's a great thing to snack on while shopping at these night markets.

Papaya Milk
Papaya Milk
Papaya Milk

Now this is some good stuff!

Nightmarket Fun
Nightmarket Fun
Nightmarket Fun
Shrimp Fishing

Games are something you'll find at almost all night market. Here, my cousin and I played the shrimp fishing game. After you catch the shrimp, the owner would grill the shrimp for you right there on the spot. I think I'd like to grab a beer to go along with those shrimp!

Nightmarket Fun
Nightmarket Fun
Dessert Before Hitting The Road

These are just a few random pics I took while on my vacation. If you need exact locations of the restaurants or where to find similar type of food, please contact me and I'll give you more information. Until then, happy eating!

10 comments:

Banana Wonder said...

Love the pics Danny! I want some bao and that marge simpson hairdo ice cream.. NOW! Funny about the piss bag - they serve horchata and aguas frescas in plastic bags like that in Mexico as well.

Pinoy Panda said...

Love that shrimp fishing. Wish we had something like this here in L.A. The lu wei looks amazing as well. Another thing we need here. LOL

Eileen said...

You are making me VERY hungry! Now I get this urge to book a flight to Taiwan TOMORROW!

Pandalicious said...

great pix! love stewed pork rice, wish i could find it in here in LA. any recs?

Ms Fatty said...

Great pics! The shrimp game looks like so much fun. I've never had papaya milk before, that looks interesting, wonder if it would be just as good if I got at one of the HK style boba houses here.

Gastronomer said...

Danny, you never fail to make me proud. Once again, good eating Panda!

Beef No Guy said...

One of the absolute best places for eating bamboo is to take a 30+ min cab ride to Wu Lai (from Xin Dien station)....those mountain veg and bamboo dishes at the "old street" vendor shops are fresh and phenomenal.

Kung Food Panda said...

Anna: The "piss bag" drinks are the way to go! It doesn't spill and easy to dispose of.

Remil: Lots of things we need here in LA. LOL

Eileen: Ya, I can't wait to go back to Taiwan myself! :)

Amy: I found one place in Rowland Heights called Cathy's Deli that was pretty good. You can go to Class 302 afterwards too!

Kung Food Panda said...

Ms Fatty: I'm sure it'll be similar, but I'm a big fan of papaya milk!

Cathy: I always try my best! :)

Ken: Ah yes, I like Wu Lai. I had that on a previous trip there.

Nancy said...

Oh..the piss bags reminds me of my childhood! I loved getting my oyster vermicelli in those bags! Closed off with a red string/twine thingy.