Thursday, December 24, 2009

Road to Seoul - Not exactly going to Seoul, but quite tasty nevertheless (Los Angeles)

Road To Seoul

Road to Seoul

As I stated in my previous post on an AYCE (all you can eat) Korean BBQ restaurant in Northern California, Korean BBQ, especially the AYCE variety is quite prevalent in Los Angeles' Koreatown, and one of my favorite is Road to Seoul.

Road To Seoul

All You Can Eat Menu ($16.99/pp)

Compared to the prices in Northern California, most of the AYCE Korean BBQ found in Los Angeles are about $16-20 per person, and it could as little as $10/person, though I question the quality of the meat served at those cheaper establishments.

Road To Seoul
Road To SeoulRoad To SeoulRoad To SeoulRoad To Seoul

Various panchan (반찬) and other side dishes served along with the BBQ

Above are the various panchan (반찬) served to our table. None of the dishes particularly stood out, though I did enjoy the potato salad as usual. Along with the panchan, we were given an order of kimchi pancake, aka pajeon (파전), and an order of steamed eggs (계란찜). The steamed eggs, gyeran jjim is always one of my favorite things to eat, which is similar to the Chinese steamed eggs I'm known to make from time to time. The big dish of vegetable is often used to combat the meat to provide more of a "refreshing" contrast.


RTS - Meat PlatterRTS - Meat PlatterRoad To SeoulRoad To SeoulRoad To SeoulRoad To SeoulRoad To Seoul

Various Meat

Above, I could go over each variety of the meat, but I'll let the picture do the talking for me. Everyone has their favorite meat selections. Some might like the kalbi and the baby octopus, some might prefer their chicken and beef brisket. As for me, I love the beef tongue and the Road to Seoul Beef. The tongue offered here is tender and delicious. I often go through a few plates of that by myself. Along with the beef tongue, I enjoy the thin, fatty slices of the Road to Seoul beef. It's one of my favorite cuts of meat at any Korean BBQ restaurants. Delicious!

Road To SeoulRoad To Seoul

Above: Doenjang Jjigae (된장 찌개), Below: Noo reung ji (누룽지)

Upon the completion of our meal, we're presented with a pot of stew made of fermented soy beans called doenjang jigae. It might be slightly foul to some, but I usually enjoy a good pot of jjigae. Along with the pot of stew, we're also given a burnt rice soup called noo reung ji (thanks for the translation Clara). When eaten with soon du bu, it's quite nice, but I don't particularly enjoy eating noo reung ji after Korean BBQ.

At the end, Road to Seoul is one of the better AYCE option here in Los Angeles. Along with my personal favorite of Yi Ssi Hwa Ro in the Chapman plaza, Road to Seoul is a pretty safe option when one has the meat cravings. The dining room is large, and clean. The service is decent, though it's always nice to bring a Korean speaker or two. So let's hit up Road to Seoul in 2010! It's been awhile for me......

Road to Seoul
1230 S. Western Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90006
(323) 731-9292


Road to Seoul in Los Angeles

9 comments:

gourmetpigs said...

Ha, I'm actually considering going here for NYE dinner, before getting boozed up somewhere. It's cheap :P

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

sadly, I must admit that living in LA i have yet to try Korean BBQ ... I just don't know where to go,but now I do! Thanks! Can't wait to try it finally =), better late than never though.

Gastronomer said...

Holla at me and V the next time you hit up Road to Seoul! The boy loves meat and I love panchan. Let's invite Let Me Eat Cake too!

Wesley said...

No octopus for you? So far this is my favorite Korean all-you-can-eat spot.

Krissy @ The Food Addicts said...

oh my god, i love AYCE KBBQ!!! we have one here near us that is 9.99/per person.. yes the quality of meat isn't the greatest, but it's still pretty darn good and cheap! But i'd pay an extra $6 for better quality... thanks for the info on this restaurant! too bad i dont live closer to it.

Ravenous Couple said...

our friend introduced this place to us and we wrote about this a while back. Agreed, it's one of the better ones but haven't been back since! Count us in if you go again! :)

Kung Food Panda said...

GP: Yup, it's cheap, good, and filling!

Nastassia: You're in LA, you must. As what Cathy said, maybe we'll let you know on our next AYCE KBBQ trip!

Cathy: Let's do it, in 2010!

Wesley: I like the octopus, but not my fav....RTS is def better than places like Manna.

Krissy: Best Korean food are in K Town, you 2 should come more often! I think for $17, it's well worth it!

Hong/Kim: Got you two down. Will let you guys know!

Pandalicious said...

i love baby octopus! and the potato salad. you can't beat AYCE meat tho.. gotta say the kalbi is the best IMO.

Kung Food Panda said...

Amy: I gotta say, I just got back from RTS, and it's still damn good!